Friday, March 6, 2009

Mission letter #3: Deaf visitors and relatives in New York - a letter from Marni

Today, March 6 a couple of African American young men came into our office. As soon as I perceived that they were deaf, I wrote them a note stating, "We have some missionaries who sign. Would you like me to put you in contact with them?" They wrote back "Cool. This is our first time here. We wanted to look around. We are already members."

I think I have neglected to tell of the fun of having family members here. One night - Jennifer Buckner invited us over to their new apartment (They took 3 apartments and made them into one over the Christmas holidays while they were in Utah). Their place is really wonderful. Jenn's husband Dave is the Stake President here. Because they are on the l5th floor, their view is truly wonderful as it overlooks Columbus Circle. (A New York land mark - a Statue of Columbus surrounded by grass in the middle of two converging thoroughfares). Julie Jackson Taylor's (& husband Jeff Taylor) were at Jennifer's at the same time so we were able to visit with all at the same time. One Sunday we had Jeff and Emily Jackson over for sunday dinner. Jeff is in the bishopric of the Harlem Ward. Our own Craig spent the night with us last month and is coming again (because of his work) next week. Then, of course the Scowcroft's are across town. They have been a big help to us. Such as taking us to Costco, etc. Also - Carolee has given us many little dinner's which have helped out tremendously - also other little items that I have needed. Yesterday, I took the bus over to their apartment to tend for the evening. It was fun to learn the BUS way. It takes about 45 Minutes. We have been able to go to two of Sylvie's concerts - one dance and the other chorus. In addition, both of my cousin Jon Carpenter's daughters live here. I should get to see all of these women tomorrow morning as there is a Stake Women's Conference. The first Sunday we met in our assigned ward, I immediately knew that the Relief Society President was one of our cousins. Her name is Catherine Edwards. She is Bill Edwards brother's daughter and looks just like her Grandmother whom I knew - therefore recognizing her immediately. She is named after our common ancestor, Catherine Cottam Romney who is the 3rd - (and as my new friend pointed out ) the most beautiful and stately of the wives of Miles Park Romney. She is so proud to be named after our Great Grandmother. She has not married yet. I am sure she is a super Relief Society President as she is very energetic with an engaging smile always. Also, Dad's cousin, Doug Clawson (deceased) daughter is here as a temple worker. There is no question that we will run into more relatives. It is easy - and wonderful - to do. I will report on the women's conference tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment